We are seeking 2-3 highly enthusiastic, self-motived, dynamic, and academically excellent PhD candidates to come and join us this coming August. We have been studying different evolutionary and ecological hypotheses in marine ecosystems using multidisciplinary approaches. The post-graduate students will conduct research in the following fields:
- Understanding the adaptation process of hadal amphipod using the state-of-the-art genomics and population genomics. The amphipods samples were collected from Challenger Deep, Mariana Trench using a bait trap. We are also working on different population/species of amphipods collected by our collaborators from other research institutes around the world.
- Natural product chemistry: focused on discovery of novel bioactive natural products from marine bacteria; natural product biosynthesis: focused on genome mining, heterologous expression and biosynthesis study of microbial natural products.
The candidates will be funded with a studentship of 15,000 HKD (~1,935 USD) per month.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Candidates with a strong background of handling next-generation sequencing or population genetics will be preferred for future amphipod research.
- Experience in marine field sampling is an advantage.
- Candidates with a strong background of natural product chemistry or genetic engineering will be preferred for natural product research.
- Good skills of English communications and writing are strongly encouraged. Plus, for students that are from non-native English speaking countries, a TOEFL/IELTS test is required by our graduate school.
- Candidates should be willing to collaborate with fellow researchers.
To proceed with your application, please send your cover letter, CV and transcripts to Prof Pei-Yuan Qian directly. Skype interviews are planned for qualified applicants.